Information for Instructors and Students

The bulk of the computing resources and support for students is provided by campus ITS (Information Technology Services).

If you are having problems with email, your campus account or class resources (computers, lab workstations and other central resources), please contact the ITS Service Desk at or (858)546-HELP(4357). The ITS web site is at

If your class has a TA and you have a question related to a class assignment, please check with your TA first. Your TA knows how the assignments are supposed to work. Since they know the material better than a general computing support technician, they may be able to give you the quickest and most accurate answer. Of course, if something appears to be broken or you have a problem that is not directly related to a class assignment, please feel free to contact the appropriate support group for assistance.

Instructional Support

ETS provides computing support for classes. The ETS web site is at

If your course will use any ETS services (including using the workstations in the basement labs), you must fill out a CINFO (Course Information Request) form.

If you have any questions about ETS managed services, please contact their group at

ITS lab support (B210-B270)

If you need assistance with the computers in any of the ITS labs or with the ITS servers (ieng*, please see the ITS Computer Labs page on the ITS web site at for assistance.

Specialized lab support

If you are a student in a class which uses a specialized lab in CSE (such as the embedded systems lab) and you run into technical difficulties, contact CSEHelp at

Class web sites

Each quarter CSEHelp creates web space for simple HTML/PHP based web sites for all regular CSE classes.  If you prefer setting up your own simple web site as opposed to using a learning management system.  You may use this web space.

These class web sites are linked to by the department web site.  If you would like to host your course materials in a different place, you can ask CSEHelp to point the department web site at your alternate location or you can place an index.html with a redirect in it in the course web space.

Microsoft/VMware software

If your CSE class requires Microsoft Windows, Microsoft Visual Studio or VMware Workstation/Fusion, CSEHelp can provide that software to you. The instructor should either request accounts for the whole class or supply CSEHelp with a list of students that may need the software. However, you may contact CSEHelp directly if necessary. Please send E-mail to from your E-mail address.

Please include the following information:

  • Your name
  • Your PID
  • Which CSE class you need the software for
  • Your instructor's name
  • Which software you need

After your request is validated, you will receive E-mail with instructions for logging in to the web store where the software can be downloaded.

Microsoft Office 365 is available through ETS.

All other software needed for your assignments will be provided on lab workstations or must be purchased separately. Consult your instructor or TA regarding any software needed to complete your assignments.

Moodle support

If your class is using CSE's Moodle learning management system and you are having difficulty logging into the system, please send E-mail to CSEHelp at and provide the following information:

  • Your name
  • Your PID
  • The CSE class you are registered in
  • Your instructor's name
  • Your campus user name, if you are a regular UCSD student
  • How you are enrolled in the class, if you are not a regular UCSD student (such as enrolled through the UCSD extension program)