Last Updated 9.4.2018
CSE courses are in high demand, and we want to be sure you understand the enrollment process. Here are your best strategies for getting into a CSE course. Our goal is to help you get the courses you need!
- CSE uses "@ucsd" email to send important messages about changes to courses, wait lists, etc. It is your responsibility to read these emails DAILY and respond by any deadlines.
- Strategy is key to using First and Second pass enrollment effectively. See below.
- ALWAYS enroll EARLY during your First and Second Pass enrollment period.
- ALWAYS enroll in two of your most important classes during First Pass.
- ALWAYS get on the WAIT LIST as soon as you can if a CSE course is full.
- By end of the second week of classes (or sooner!), be settled into your final classes.
- Watch our Course Update page for updated enrollment information.
- IMPORTANT REMINDER: students who add CSE courses during the first two weeks will not be allowed to make-up missed assignments. If you are on the waitlist for a course, you are expected to attend class for the first two weeks and complete assignments. If students choose not to attend class or to not turn in assignments on due dates, the student will receive a "0" on all missed assignments/quizzes/etc. No exceptions are made.
Before First Pass
- Make sure you understand how the entire enrollment process works.
- Review the Registrar's checklist on what to do before enrolling in classes.
- Review the Long-term Plan for your CSE Degree Program and your Degree Audit.
- Determine which courses to take in the upcoming quarter, identifying those that are the most important to keep you on track for graduation.
- Remember, all core CSE courses are offered at least twice/year and so there is flexibility in what to take in given quarter.
- Short questions about what to take can be answered on the VAC. Otherwise, talk to your college adviser or a CSE advisor.
- New CSE students should read CSE Course Placement Advice.
- Remember, CSE enforces prerequisites.
- Fall quarter is unique!! We set enrollment limits low or at zero to save seats for incoming 1st Years and Transfers. This will not occur for Winter, Spring, and Summer registration.
During First Pass
- Enroll in the two-three courses (up to 11.5 units) that are the MOST important to keep you on track for your CSE Degree Program. See "Before First Pass" above.
During Second Pass
- Enroll in or wait list your remaining courses for the upcoming quarter. See "Before First Pass" above.
- ALWAYS put yourself on the wait list if the CSE course you want is full!
- Make adjustments to your enrollments from First Pass, if needed.
After Second Pass
- CSE will use first-come, first-served order of the wait lists in nearly all situations. This may be within groups (e.g., our majors).
- Continue to adjust your schedule, and continue to wait list as described above.
- By the end of the second week of classes, be settled into your final classes.
Late Add Policy
- The CSE department does not allow students to add courses past week 2. If a student is not enrolled in enough units by the start of week 1, the student should contact their department advisor.
- Students who add CSE courses during the first two weeks will not be allowed to make-up missed assignments. If you are on the waitlist for a course, you are expected to attend class for the first two weeks and complete assignments. If students choose not to attend class or to not turn in assignments on due dates, the student will receive a "0" on all missed assignments/quizzes/etc. No exceptions are made.