- B.A. Computer Science
- B.S. Computer Science
- B.S. Computer Engineering
- B.S. Computer Science with a Specialization in Bioinformatics
CSE's undergraduate programs build a strong foundation in programming and the fundamentals of the field of computer science. We also offer a great social networking environment for our students. As you know, computer science is embedded in several aspect of daily life, so we feel it is necessary to teach important and relevant material in every class we teach. We believe it is important to teach students technology that may solve society's problems in fields such as the environment, medicine, robotics, social services, etc.
Per UC San Diego's Career Services survey, common starting salaries for CSE majors from UC San Diego are $68,000 - $83,000 plus benefits. Computer science and computer engineering jobs are some of the fastest growing, recession-proof professions in the country.
Join the CSE Department and you to can reap all of these rewards!
Lower division programming classes
In their first two years of study at UC San Diego, CSE students are prepared for advanced studies in programming. As part of this preparation, students will complete the following courses whether they are following the computer science curriculum or the computer engineering curriculum. Please see CSE Course Placement Advice for assistance in choosing your first CSE course.
- CSE 12 - Basic Data Structures and Object-Oriented Design
- CSE 15L - Software Tools and Techniques Laboratory
- CSE 20 - Introduction to Discrete Mathematics
- CSE 21 - Mathematics, Algorithms, and Systems Analysis
- CSE 30 - Computer Organization and System Programming
Upper division programming classes, advanced studies
In their junior and senior years, CSE students will study advanced courses in theory, techniques of algorithms, hardware design, and software development in the upper division courses. The core set of upper division courses enhance students' breadth of knowledge and also provides a deep understanding in these areas.
- CSE 100 - Advanced Data Structures
- CSE 101 - Design and Analysis of Algorithms
- CSE 105 - Introduction to Theory of Computation
- CSE 110 - Software Engineering
- CSE 120 - Principles of Computer Operating Systems
- CSE 130 - Programming Languages: Principles and Paradigms
- CSE 131 - Compiler Construction
- CSE 140 - Component & Design Techniques of Digital Systems
- CSE 140L - Digital Systems Laboratory
- CSE 141 - Introduction to Computer Architecture
- and CSE 141L - Project in Computer Architecture
"Computer Science is no more about computers than astronomy is about telescopes."
– Edsger Dijkstra