Currently, the CSE building is closed to general use by faculty, staff, and students due to the COVID 19 pandemic. Only those people included in approved research plans and those teaching in person can be in the building. For further information, please see UCSD's Return to Learn website.
We want to let you know that the CSE advisors are still here for you when you need us. However, to keep you and our staff safe during this global pandemic, we are primarily offering remote advising (online, meeting via Zoom). As of March 18, 2020, we do not have staff in the office to monitor our phone lines, so please be sure to reach out to us via email only for an appointment.
How to contact CSE Undergraduate Advising:
Virtual Advising Center (VAC)
- Current undergraduate students can always submit quick advising questions through the Virtual Advising Center (vac.ucsd.edu).
- An advisor will respond with 2-3 business days (sometimes longer during enrollment periods).
- CSE Advisors will not advise undergraduate students via email.
- During peak periods (enrollment), VAC inquiries are prioritized.
- Degree Audit change requests take 3-5 business days to process.
- Current graduate students with questions for undergraduate advisors can submit their advising questions via email (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Pre-Scheduled Advising Appointments (30 minutes)
- Advising appointments are best for an in-depth discussion about your educational plan.
- To schedule an appointment: please email email@example.com.
In your email, please include the following information (you can even copy + paste these bullet points directly into your email):
- First and Last Name:
- Reason for appointment: (i.e. to review long term plan, to discuss enrollment for next quarter, interested in adding a minor, study abroad questions, etc.)
- Top 3 preferred meeting times: (based on available advising times listed on the calendar below)
Drop-In Advising (fast 15 minute advising sessions)
- Drop-in advising is best for quick questions (degree audit updates, current/next quarter enrollment, getting Advisor signatures, etc.)
- Students will be able to sign in to drop-in advising using the Meet with Advisor tool in the Virtual Advising Center (vac.ucsd.edu) without an appointment during the times specified on the calendar below (typically Monday afternoons and Friday mornings).
Advising hours are subject to change.
Official Campus Closure Dates:
The campus is closed on all the major holidays: New Years Eve and New Years Day, Martin Luther King Jr. Day, President's Day, Cesar Chavez Day, Memorial Day, Juneteenth, Independence Day, Labor Day, Veterans Day, Thanksgiving and the Friday after Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.
CSE Undergraduate Advising Contact Info:
Location: Computer Science and Engineering Building (EBU 3B), 1st floor, west wing, Room 1200
Phone: 858-534-8872 Fax: 858-822-3319 *Note: due to COVID-19, Advisors are NOT monitoring these phone lines. Please contact Advisors through VAC or email instead.
Masters Program Advising: 2nd floor, west wing, rooms 2218-2222 (or contact via email)