Undergraduate Advising: Overview

At UC San Diego, we have a unique advising approach - students will have specialized advisors based on their specific programs, college, and degree requirements.  Here is a brief overview of how it works:


CSE Department Advising

Each student who has declared a major at UCSD will have a major advisor. In the CSE department, you will have an assigned professional undergraduate advisor to assist you with understanding your major requirements and learning about various experiential learning opportunities we believe to be important in supporting your long term goals. CSE Undergraduate Advisors can assist with questions/issues such as:

  • How do I create a long term plan?
  • Where can I find my degree requirements?
  • What are the department’s policies and exceptions?
  • I am struggling in my CS courses and thinking about changing my major.

CSE Major advisors are available in person: appointments, drop-in advising, and Zoom advising (Zoom is an online videoconference platform). CSE Major advisors also host various workshops including: How to enroll in CSE courses, Compensation Negotiation, What to do if you don’t have a summer internship, etc


CSE Faculty Mentoring/Advising

Undergraduate students may also meet with CSE Faculty for additional mentoring/advising related to issues such as:

  • How to start doing research?
  • How to get into graduate school?
  • What are some different career path options?
  • What is a particular sub-field about?
  • Providing support for students from underrepresented groups
  • How to get an internship?


College Advising

Each undergraduate student is assigned to one of the university’s 7 colleges:  Revelle, Muir, Marshall, Warren, Roosevelt, Sixth, or Seventh

The college a student is assigned to is not associated with their major. Instead, the college is associated with the student’s general education and student life experience. Each college has a different focus, which can be found on their webpages.

College advisors will also be the primary contact for various administrative questions: enrolling part-time, taking a class for a third time, academic standing, verification of IGETC certification, etc.

However, it is still a good idea to communicate with your major advisor regarding these issues for planning purposes.


Where to start?

Any of the advising resources above can assist with resource referrals across campus and students should feel free to meet with any or all of these advisors/mentors. However, we understand that it can be overwhelming for students to decide where or with who to start. We encourage CSE majors who are not sure where to start with their questions, to come in and meet with their CSE Major advisor.

Students can also reach their college and major/department advisors through the Virtual Advising Center (VAC). The VAC is not a place, but it is an online portal for students to send quick questions to college and department advisors.