CSE MS Career Advising helps all current CSE MS students with planning, working on, and achieving their industry and academic career goals. Some ways in which CSE MS career advising helps with this include, but are not limited to:
Helping CSE MS students understand and navigate the US internship and full-time job market
Helping CSE MS students network with employers, alumni, fellow students, faculty, campus staff, and others
Be a bridge between CSE MS students and employers by explaining and showing both sides how to better work with each other
Create and update career-related resources for CSE MS students such as workshops, alumni and/or employer events, and networking opportunities
Address all career-related questions, either academic or industry-related
Please note CSE MS career advising DOES NOT do an internship or full-time job placement. There are no units, departments, groups, or people who place into opportunities on campus.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I schedule an appointment with the MS career advisor?
- Appointments must be scheduled at least 24 hours in advance through wendy-yamamoto.youcanbook.me
- To cancel your appointment, go to the youcanbook.me confirmation email. If you are running late, contact the Career Advisor.
- For your first appointment: bring your resume and a list of companies you would like to apply to
- 1-on-1 appointments with the MS Career Advisor are reserved for currently enrolled CSE MS students. If you are a CSE MS alumni, please contact the MS career advisor
- Starting on November 15, 2021: Monday and Tuesday appointments will be virtual via zoom. Appointments on Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday can be in person or on zoom. Please note your preference on youcanbook.me.
- All CSE MS students with individual appointment requests must also have a signed and dated CSE MS career integrity pledge on file BEFORE an individual appointment request will be approved.
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact Patrick Mallon, CSE Director of Student Affairs, at: email@example.com.
What is the Career Advisor’s schedule?
- CSE MS Career Advising is available Monday - Friday 9 am to 5 pm by appointment only.
- Due to a high volume of emails/messages, it may take up to 48 hours (2 business days) to receive a response. During peak periods, such as the beginning of Fall quarter, this response time may be even longer.
- Please do not send multiple emails and messages about the same question unless requested by the Career Advisor.
- Monday and Tuesday Appointments will be remote. Wednesday, Thursday, and Fridays can be in-person or remote.
When is a good time to see the Career Advisor?
You are highly encouraged to talk to the Career Advisor at least 1 quarter before you graduate and/or before the summer internships. Getting an internship or job will take longer than you realize.
It can take 2-5 months to get a good internship and 3-8 months to get a good job.
What is the recruiting timeline for internships/jobs?
Internship Timeline: The sooner that first-year students start looking for internships the better. Most companies recruit 9-12 months in advance for summer internships, so recruiting will begin in the beginning of October 2021 for summer 2022. Data has shown that most students in the CSE MS program receive interviews and offers in the winter quarter. Full
Time Job Timeline: The full time job market is open year-round, but there are peaks and valleys. Hiring for full time jobs slows down during summer and the holiday season. Students are encouraged to start looking for jobs when they feel ready. Budget about 6 months before you would like to get and start a job.
- Who can attend the CSE MS career advising workshops?
- All CSE MS career advising workshops are open to current CSE MS students and alumni only. It is also requested that CSE MS alumni email the career advisor before attending an in-person event.
- Non-CSE MS UCSD students should seek career help and resources from the UC San Diego Career Center from the Jacobs School of Engineering Corporate Affiliates Program.
All current CSE MS students must have a signed and dated CSE MS career integrity pledge to attend CSE MS career advising events featuring alumni and/or employer guest speakers.
If you have any questions or need additional information regarding the resources below, please contact:
MS Career Advisor
Computer Science and Computing Department,
UC San Diego