Updated December 2015
Students who would like to request CSE course equivalency for courses taken at four-year, out-of-state, private, or study abroad institutions, should carefully review the following instructions.
Be sure to complete all parts of the petition. Incomplete forms will delay the process.
- Use the online petition tool: http://ugrad-petitions.ucsd.edu/ugrad/petitions/submit
- Select "CSE" Department.
- Select Petition Type: Course Substitution or Pre-Approval (see grid below).
- Enter Petition Request.
- Use the CSE Course Descriptions webpage to compare courses.
- Students may only receive credit for one CSE course per transferred.
- Transfer course units must meet or exceed the number of units attached to the CSE course credit being requested
- Fill in your Petition Reason.
- Indicate when the course was taken, grade received, and units.
- Upload supporting documents (course syllabi, course assignments, or course websites). If you submit a copy of the course syllabus (for respective quarter/semester you took the course), please be to include textbook information, catalog description, and weekly schedule of topics. Syllabi submitted without course content information may be delayed and an advisor may request additional documentation.
- Submit petition.
- Check the status of your petition through the online tool.
Petitions will be reviewed, and students will be notified of a decision via @ucsd.edu email and Virtual Advising Center. It can take anywhere from 4-6 weeks for your petition to go through the process. There are no guarantees of approval on any petition.
Type of Petitions Reviewed*
*Please note, the CSE Department enforces all course prerequisites.