1. How to apply as a tutor?
A: Please visit the Instructional Assistant(IA) System to apply: https://academicaffairs.ucsd.edu/Modules/ASES/Admin/Campaigns.aspx
2. What are the requirements to become a tutor? Could I still become a tutor if I don’t meet one of the requirements?
The qualifications are strictly enforced. To qualify, you must:
- Have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0
- Have completed at least two quarters at UCSD by start of the quarter.
- Earned a minimum grade of B or higher in course (or its equivalent).
- Be a registered UCSD student with fees paid.
- Have completed CSE 95 or concurrent enrollment.
- Be available from the start of the quarter until when grades are due. For example, Winter 2019- January 2 through March 26th.
- Complete employment paperwork before the start of the quarter you are assigned to tutor.
2. When will the ASES Campaign for next quarter go live?
A: ASES Campaigns go live sometime between Weeks 5 and 7 (with the exception of the Summer Campaign, which tends to go live a bit earlier in Spring Quarter). Notices are sent when the campaign is live and available for submitting applications and direct links will be posted on our website: https://cse.ucsd.edu/undergraduate/undergraduate-tutors
3. Why haven't I received my assignment? My professor said they want to hire me, but I haven't received anything?
A: VERBAL OFFERS FROM INSTRUCTORS DO NOT CONSTITUTE FORMAL OFFERS. Formal offers will be made via the IA System. It is possible that if you haven't received your assignment, it is either because we have not heard from the faculty member about your assignment or we recently heard about the assignment and have not had the opportunity to make the update in the IA System. Please follow up with the faculty supervisor, and have them contact us.
4. Where is my paycheck?
A: Please refer to the Pay Period chart that was emailed. Paper checks are currently delivered to the department 1-2 business days after payday (dependent of mail services). If CSE is your home department, it will be ready for pick up in CSE 2225 Monday through Friday between 2:00 pm and 4:00 pm. Please note the paper check system will change and the UC will directly mail paper checks to your address. We strongly suggest direct deposit: https://blink.ucsd.edu/finance/payroll/processes/enroll.html
Please also keep in mind that your time could not be processed if you did not submit a paper timesheet, submit your time via MyTime, or if you submitted time past the due date. If you think you submitted it via MyTime, double check to make sure you didn't click "Save" instead of "Submit." Also check if your faculty supervisor approved the hours and follow up with them to approve your hours so that you could be paid.
5. Could I get a copy of my time entries?
A: It is your responsibility to keep a record of your time entries. Please keep in mind that MyTime comments will not be viewable after two past pay periods. We strongly suggest you keep detailed records.
6. Why can't I log in to MyTime or enroll in Direct Deposit via At Your Service Online?
A: Your business account may not be activated yet. Please wait until you receive an email notification that your account has been activated. If you received the notification, please try directions on accessing UCSD Business Systems to register or re-register: https://blink.ucsd.edu/technology/network/access/business-systems/access.html If your account is still locked, please wait as the Department Security Administrator was notified after accounts were activated and it could take 2-3 business days for them to unlock it.
7. How do I obtain my Social Security Number (SSN)?
A: We will provide a letter during your scheduled onboarding appointment, then you will need to go to ISPO and they will let you know the process. Please see information https://ispo.ucsd.edu/current-students/working-in-usa/social-security.html.
8. What do I do after I receive my SSN?
A: Please stop by the CSE Student Affairs window during the hours of operation with your SSN so we could update the system and activate your business accounts. Then, please update your SSN with the Office of Registrar. Please note that your business account will not work until both the Payroll system (updated by CSE) and the Student Records system(updated by the Office of Registrar) is updated with your information.
9. Where is my Employee ID?
A: You will receive an email with your Employee ID one to two weeks after your onboarding appointment. The subject line of the email will be as follows: "Timekeeping Notification..." Search your email inbox and spam filters for this email.
10. Where can I get tax information?
A: We are not authorized to offer tax advice. Please find tax information: http://blink.ucsd.edu/finance/payroll/w2/index.html or http://ifso.ucsd.edu/living-in-sd/taxes/index.html
11. Where can I get information regarding the union?
A: We are not authorized to answer any union questions. Please contact:
- UC San Diego Labor Relations Department E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org Phone: (858) 534-2810
- UAW E-mail: email@example.com Phone: (510) 549-3863 Website: http://www.uaw2865.org/contact-2/
12. What if I miss the ASE Orientation and make-up?
A: Please contact UC San Diego Labor Relations Department to see what your options are. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org Phone: (858) 534-2810