Students with a documented disability may be eligible for accommodations. The Office for Students with Disabilities (OSD) is responsible for determining reasonable accommodations based on the individual’s current functional limitations. Only students who have been issued an Authorization for Accommodation (AFA) by the OSD are eligible for accommodations. The Computer Science and Engineering OSD Liaison and faculty will work directly with the student to facilitate all exam accommodations for undergraduate courses offered by the Division.
Information for Students
Students seeking accommodations in any course offered by the Computer Science and Engineering department must follow the steps below. Students are responsible for registering promptly with the OSD. In order to ensure that accommodations are met, students MUST follow the procedures of both the OSD and the Computer Science and Engineering Department.
1. Students consult with an OSD Disability Specialist quarterly, as soon as course registration occurs, to obtain an Authorization for Accommodation (AFA) letter for each course in which accommodations are needed.
2. Once an AFA letter is issued for a course offered by the Computer Science and Engineering Department, the student should present the AFA letter(s) to their respective course instructor(s). The AFA that is submitted to the Computer Science and Engineering OSD Liaison must include the instructor’s signature.
3. To receive accommodations, the student must meet with the Computer Science and Engineering OSD Liaison. The student should visit the Undergraduate Student Affairs Office (Building EBU 3B, 1st floor, west wing, room 1200) during their scheduled office hours and ask for the OSD Liaison at the check-in desk. To this meeting, the student should bring:
- AFA letters for each CSE Course they are enrolled in.
- A list of all exams in ALL CSE COURSES they are enrolled in. Include the scheduled date, time and location of each exam.
- Resolutions, worked out between student and instructor(s), to time conflicts, (e.g. limit of one exam per day; overlapping exams).
If the course instructor has elected to coordinate a student's accommodations, the student must still turn in a copy of their AFA letter(s), signed by the instructor(s), to the CSE Department OSD Liaison.
The OSD Liaison will work with the course instructor to make arrangements for the student's exams. Whenever possible, the exam will be scheduled for the same date and time as the original exam. Students will be notified via the Virtual Advising Center regarding when and where their exam will take place.
- The AFA should be submitted as soon as possible, but no later than Friday of week 2 of the quarter. If an AFA is issued by the OSD after Friday of week 2, the student must present the AFA to the Computer Science and Engineering OSD Liaison within two business days of the date of issuance listed on the AFA.
- An AFA for each Computer Science and Engineering course must be submitted to the Computer Science and Engineering OSD Liaison before any accommodations can be arranged. No accommodations will be retroactively applied.
- If for any reason a student decides they do not want to use one or more of their accommodations, we ask that they notify the OSD Liaison as soon as possible before the exam.
Information for Exam Proctors
If you are interested in becoming a CSE Exam Proctor, see a position description and apply here.
Proctors hired by the CSE Department should visit the CSE Proctors Page to access resources and sign-up to proctor exams.
Information for Instructors
When a student enrolled in a CSE course is issued an Authorization for Accommodation (AFA) letter, an instructor can expect the student to meet with them to have their AFA signed. If an instructor would prefer to arrange a student's exam accommodations, they should let the student know that. The student will also give a copy of their AFA to the CSE OSD Liaison at CSE Student Affairs.
Unless communicated otherwise, the OSD Liaison will make arrangements for the student's exams, and then contact the instructor with the details. The accommodated exam may:
- Be in a separate location from the classroom exam
- Start at the same time as the classroom exam or a little later
- End at the same time or later than the classroom exam
- Include use of a laptop not connected to a network; additional instructions will be provided
- Need to be rescheduled to a different day to avoid conflicts with the student's other classes or exams
- Stipulate other requirements as listed on the AFA
Please respond to the OSD Liaison and confirm that you agree to the student's exam accommodations as soon as possible.
The OSD Liaison will also ask that the instructor asks one of the course TAs to proctor the OSD student's exam. When a student takes their exam separate from the class, they cannot ask the instructor clarification questions. Providing a course TA for an OSD student's exam ensures that they are not at a disadvantage compared to their peers. In addition, if any announcements are made to the class during the exam, it is expected that the instructor would have no trouble contacting their course TA so that the OSD student hears the same announcement.
If sending a course TA to proctor an OSD student's exam would leave an instructor short-handed where the rest of the class is testing, the instructor should please fill out this form from the Academic Integrity office to request additional proctoring support. CSE is now one of three departments to be participating in a campus pilot program, starting Winter 2018, through which we can request proctors through the Academic Integrity Office from a centralized, trained pool of undergraduates. For clarification, these students cannot proctor OSD exams but can help make-up for the absence of a course TA who is proctoring an OSD student exam. If you do not have TAs assigned to your course, let the OSD Liaison know right away so that other proctoring arrangements can be made.
In addition, starting Spring 2018, the CSE department has hired a few graduate students who can proctor OSD exams. If an instructor would like us to arrange for one of our proctors for the student's exams, they must let the OSD Liaison know right away. Please keep in mind that the instructor will need to correspond with the proctor regarding when they can pick up and drop off the exam, as well as how they can contact the instructor with the student's questions during the exam.
Undergraduate CSE tutors are not to proctor CSE OSD exams alone. However, they are allowed to assist in proctoring the classroom exam.
CSE OSD Liaison Contact: email@example.com