Updated March 23rd, 2020
COVID-19 Update: We want to let you know that our CSE advisors are still here for you when you need us. However, to ensure we are doing our part to "flatten the curve" and keep you and our staff safe during this global pandemic, we are moving to remote advising until further notice. Current students may contact us via the Virtual Advising Center (vac.ucsd.edu) or firstname.lastname@example.org. We are still offering advising appointments which can be conducted via Zoom videoconference or phone. To schedule an appointment, please email email@example.com.
The following links may be helpful over the next few weeks:
** Enrollment information** As of March 23rd, 2020, we have released the maximum number of seats without additional instructional support for the instructor. If we can get instructional support to accommodate additional students, we will release those seats as the start of summer session approaches. Please feel free to monitor this webpage for additional information.
The estimated timeline for instructional support information is June 19th, 2020
Additional enrollment notes:
CSE 8A (summer session 2): all seats in this course are reserved for our Summer 2020 Summer Engineering Institute participants
CSE 190 enrollment information: 2019-2020 CSE 190 Course Information
Due to the high demand for CSE courses, enrolling in CSE courses can be difficult and confusing. Please read the following page in detail. The courses listed on the Schedule of Classes are the courses/sections we intend to offer in Summer 2020. The capacity in each course is determined by multiple variables (not just the classroom size), including but not limited to:
- Classroom size availability
- Instructor availability
- Instructor teaching load
- Instructional support availability (TA/tutor support)
- Scalability of the course
- Late Add Policy
The CSE department does not allow students to add courses past week 1.
Students who add CSE courses during the first week will not be allowed to make-up missed assignments. If you are on the waitlist for a course, you are expected to attend the class for the first week and complete assignments. If students choose not to attend class or to not turn in assignments on due dates, the student will receive a "0" on all missed assignments/quizzes/etc. No exceptions are made.
- Waitlist Policy
There is no major priority for CSE courses in the summer. All undergraduate students should expect to be enrolled in courses in waitlist order only. However, undergraduates do have priority to add undergraduate courses
IMPORTANT NOTE: If a student is waitlisted for a course in summer and enrolled in the same course for Fall or another Summer session, the system will drop you from the summer session waitlist if a seat becomes available because it recognizes you are already enrolled in the course. We will not clear students to add to the course in these situations as the system moves on and automatically adds the next eligible student on the waitlist.
- Enrollment/Course Policies
- Prerequisites are enforced for ALL classes.
- For course clearances, please use the Enrollment Authorization System (EASy). These may take 5 business days to be processed, so please plan accordingly.
- Sorry, no swaps. Be sure to enroll or waitlist in the section with the assigned time you will attend and assigned the final exam you can attend. Due to the high demand for CSE classes, the large volume of requests, and limited staff resources, the CSE department does NOT allow students to swap sections, even if they find another student who is willing to swap with them. No exceptions.
- We do not release names of instructors until their appointments are official with the University. Once official, instructor names are posted on the Schedule of Classes and WebReg
- If you need to petition a course for transfer credit, please use our ONLINE PETITION to do so.
- Non-CSE Majors
Non-CSE Undergraduates who want to enroll in CSE Major restricted courses should submit an enrollment request through Enrollment Authorization System (EASy).
Requests from non-CSE major undergraduate students to be cleared to enroll in major restricted courses may take 5 business days, please plan accordingly.
- Non-CSE Courses
Each department handles course clearances for their own courses. Please contact the respective department for course clearance to ECE, COGS, MGT, etc.
- Graduate Students
Graduate students who wish to add undergraduate courses please submit a request through the Enrollment Authorization System (EASy). Prerequisite clearances and approvals to add will be reviewed by the end of week one of classes based on if there is seat availability after undergraduates enroll.
Graduate Course Request: Please see the Graduate Courses and Enrollment Information