Currently, the CSE building is closed to general use by faculty, staff, and students due to the COVID 19 pandemic. Only those people included in approved research plans and those teaching in person can be in the building. For further information, please see UCSD's Return to Learn website.
Updates to Spring 2021 Registration
- Second Pass and Waitlists
- Spring 2021 registration has resumed. (2/18/2021 at 2:18 PM)
- You have been assigned a new second pass enrollment appointment time. Please view your new appointment time on WebReg.
- You will not be able to waitlist for courses until your second pass appointment time.
- Maximum Units and Waitlists Reminders from the Registrar
- During first pass, you can enroll in up to 11.5 units.
- During second pass, you can enroll and waitlist in up to 19.5 units.
- Starting the first day of instruction, you may enroll and waitlist in up to 22 units.
Spring 2021 Enrollment Issue Explained
See below for an explanation of the enrollment that occurred on February 18th and further action that may be required from you.
- Explanation of Issue
- A human error occurred in the Office of the Registrar which caused first pass to overlap with second pass.
- As a result of this human error, students who were still in their first pass appointment time yesterday were able to enroll in up to 19.5 units and waitlist for classes, while other students began a premature second pass appointment time.
- This never should have happened and we know you are frustrated. We apologize for our error and the additional stress this caused you during an already stressful time.
- To resolve this issue, registration was shut down temporarily and second pass enrollment times for all students were shifted. The purpose of this was to allow everyone to start with a clean slate for second pass. Second pass now starts on February 21st.
- To Students Who Enrolled in More than 11.5 Units
All students will be required to drop back down to 11.5 units. Please see below for any action you need to take at this time:
- If you are still within your first pass appointment time and are registered for more than 11.5 units, you will have until 11:59pm PST tonight (February 19th) to drop courses that put you over the 11.5 unit limit. If you do not drop your classes by this deadline, you will be administratively dropped from your latest enrollments that put you over the limit.
- If you are no longer within your first pass appointment time and are registered for more than 11.5 units, you will be administratively dropped from your latest enrollments that put you over the limit.
- If your second pass was erroneously scheduled yesterday (Thursday February 18th) and you registered for more than 11.5 units, you will be administratively dropped from your latest enrollments that put you over the limit.
- To Students Who Waitlisted for Classes
All students will be administratively dropped from waitlists today. Waitlists will start over during second pass (beginning, Sunday February 21st.)
COVID-19 Update: Our CSE advisors are still here for you when you need us. However, to keep you and our staff safe during this global pandemic, we are moving to remote advising until further notice. Current students may contact us via the Virtual Advising Center (vac.ucsd.edu) or firstname.lastname@example.org. We are still offering advising appointments which can be conducted via Zoom videoconference or phone. To schedule an appointment, please email email@example.com.
We have not had staff in the office to monitor our phone lines since Wednesday, March 18th, 2020; so please be sure to reach out to us via email only for an appointment.
- Links to resources
The following links may be helpful:
Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS): Call (858) 534-3755, 24/7, for assistance.
Coping with Corona Virus Stress (article)
- Scheduling Notes
- Course components with the location listed as RCLAS on the Schedule of Classes/WebReg will be remote/online course components.
- All course material will be available remotely, regardless of whether the course is taught in-person, hybrid, or fully remote (unless otherwise noted in the Schedule of Classes/WebReg). You can register for an in-person or hybrid course if necessary. Please note that in-person or synchronously taught courses may have activities you would need to make-up remotely (example: if missing i-clicker participation in a discussion section, you may have additional written assignments that would be needed). Because of this, students can enroll in conflicting courses, and makeup missed work, but the make-up work may be less-desirable work. Please contact the instructor directly for additional information as needed.
- The system will allow you to enroll/waitlist in courses even if there are conflicting time issues. Please keep in mind that although courses will be done remotely there may be some valuable content from non-mandatory discussion sections that is not posted. Ultimately it is up to you how you plan your fall quarter. Please feel free to contact your individual instructors to ask how they will be running their courses to verify if there will be any potential issues.
- The CSE Department and UC San Diego reserve the right to move any in-person components to remote/online instruction at any time before and during the Spring quarter in order to help keep our faculty, staff, and students safe (physically and mentally) during these unprecedented times.
- CSE Course Capacities
Due to the high demand for CSE courses, enrolling in CSE courses can be difficult and confusing. Please read the following page in detail. The courses listed below are the courses/sections we intend to offer in Spring 2021. The capacity in each course is determined by multiple variables (not just the classroom size), including but not limited to:
- Classroom size availability
- Instructor availability
- Instructor teaching load
- Instructional support availability (TA/tutor support)
- Scalability of the course
- Campus COVID-19 restrictions
Due to COVID-19, for the safety of our faculty, staff, and students, the campus has put in certain restrictions for in-person course offerings:
- We can only go to 25% of room capacity, this includes the instructor and their instructional support team
- Regardless of classroom size, no in-person class may exceed 50 people, this includes the instructor and their instructional support team
- CSE Majors
For Spring 2021, we do not have any reserved seats for CSE Majors. So feel free to enroll in the courses most important to you during 1st pass and enroll/waitlist your 2nd tier courses during 2nd pass enrollment.
- Grading policy: WI21/SP21 CSE Memo
- Late Add Policy
- The CSE department does not allow students to add courses past week 2. If a student is not enrolled in enough units by the start of week 1, the student should contact their department advisor.
- Students who add CSE courses during the first two weeks will not be allowed to make-up missed assignments.
- If you are on the waitlist for a course, you are expected to attend class for the first two weeks and complete assignments. If students choose not to attend class or to not turn in assignments on due dates, the student will receive a "0" on all missed assignments/quizzes/etc. No exceptions are made.
- All enrolled and waitlisted students are enrolled in the online course shell module in Canvas to allow students to submit assignments on time. Enrollment in the Canvas course shell (or other online course platforms such as Piazza) is NOT equivalent to being officially enrolled in the course
- Waitlist Policy
- Once all seats are released, students will only be added to courses with waitlists in waitlist order via the automatic waitlist enrollment process. The last waitlist add runs on Thursday of week 2. The CSE department will NOT manually clear any students to enroll even if space becomes available on the last day of enrollment (Friday of week 2).
- If you are not able to enroll in your CSE courses in Spring, you may need to enroll in a subsequent quarter.
In general, undergraduates have a priority to add undergraduate CSE courses; graduate students have priority to add graduate CSE courses. Priority is not given to:
- Students who postpone taking a course hoping for a particular instructor in a future quarter.
- Seniors (or others) who do not use their 1st and 2nd pass early-enrollment times.
- Students who failed or withdrew from the course in a previous quarter.
- Students who add CSE courses during the first two weeks will not be allowed to make-up missed assignments. If you are on the waitlist for a course, you are expected to attend class for the first two weeks and complete assignments. If students choose not to attend class or to not turn in assignments on due dates, the student will receive a "0" on all missed assignments/quizzes/etc. No exceptions are made.
Max Unit Exceptions:
- Students who are on the waitlist will not be moved into the course if they need a max unit exception. When the college grants a max unit exception it is for the course requested, not the quarter. If a seat becomes available in the waitlisted class the system will bypass the student needing a max unit exception and add the next student on the waitlist to the course, which means that the student needing the max unit exception will not be added because the available seat will be taken. If a student wants to be added off of the waitlist, they would need to be under the max unit limit (enrolled and waitlisted courses combined) so the system can bring them into the course if a seat opens up (in waitlist order of course). We will not approve requests to enroll in CSE courses exceeding the max unit limit if there is a waitlist. Please plan accordingly.
- Enrollment/Course Policies
- Prerequisites are enforced for ALL classes.
- See Enrolling in CSE Courses to learn best strategies for getting into CSE classes.
- For course clearances, please use the Enrollment Authorization System (EASy). These may take 5 business days to be processed.
- Sorry, no swaps. Be sure to enroll or waitlist in the section with the assigned time you will attend and assigned final exam you can attend. Due to the high demand for CSE classes, the large volume of requests, and limited staff resources, the CSE department does NOT allow students to swap sections, even if they find another student who is willing to swap with them. No exceptions.
- We do not release names of instructors until their appointments are official with the University. Once official, instructor names are posted on the schedule of classes and WebReg
- If you need to petition a course for transfer credit, please use our ONLINE PETITION to do so.
- Non-CSE Majors
Non-CSE Undergraduates who want to enroll in CSE Major restricted courses should submit an enrollment request through Enrollment Authorization System (EASy). (Major restricted courses are indicated with an asterisk (*) below.) Since CSE instructors aren't directly involved with student enrollment, please do not contact the course instructor regarding enrollment concerns.
Requests from non-CSE major undergraduate students to be cleared to enroll in CSE major restricted courses will be placed on a "Department Hold" until after CSE Majors have had the opportunity to enroll. The requests may be reviewed between Monday, March 1st and the start of classes if there are seats available.
If there is currently a waitlist, we will continue to monitor the course enrollments. If the waitlist is cleared, then we will start to clear non-CSE majors to enroll in open seats before March 25th.
- Non-CSE Courses
For questions about enrolling in ENG 100D or ENG 100L, please see Global Ties
Each department handles course clearances for their own courses. Please contact the respective department for course clearance to ECE, COGS, MGT, etc.
- Graduate Students
Graduate students who wish to add undergraduate courses please submit a request through the Enrollment Authorization System (EASy). Prerequisite clearances and approvals to add will be reviewed by the end of week one of classes based on if there is seat availability after undergraduates enroll. Be sure to include a justification and supporting documentation for how you meet the course prerequisites for the UG CSE course you are requesting.
We will not be clearing graduate students to enroll/waitlist in CSE undergraduate courses if there is a waitlist before March 25th. If there is currently a waitlist, we will continue to monitor the course enrollments. If the waitlist is cleared, then we will start to clear graduate students to enroll in open seats after March 25th.
Graduate Course Request: Please see the Graduate Courses and Enrollment Information
Major restricted courses are indicated with an asterisk (*) below.
See CSE Course Prerequisites webpage for information on which majors are approved for major restricted courses.
|Course||Course Title||Section Code||Primary Instructor||Course
|Section Capacity||Course Notes|
|CSE 3||Fluency/Information Technology||A00||Soosai Raj, Gerald||Remote||150||All seats released for enrollment|
|CSE 8A||Intro to Programming 1||B00||Cao, Paul||Remote||100||All seats released for enrollment|
|CSE 8A||Intro to Programming 1||C00||Cao, Paul||Remote||100||All seats released for enrollment|
|CSE 8A||Intro to Programming 1||D00||Cao, Paul||Remote||100||All seats released for enrollment|
|CSE 8B||Intro to Programming 2||A00||STAFF||Remote||220||All seats released for enrollment|
|CSE 11||Accel. Intro to Programming||A00||Miranda, Greg||Remote||150||All seats released for enrollment|
|CSE 11||Accel. Intro to Programming||B00||Miranda, Greg||Remote||150||All seats released for enrollment|
|CSE 12||Basic Data Struct & OO Design||B00||Gillespie, Gary N||Remote||175||All seats released for enrollment|
|CSE 12||Basic Data Struct & OO Design||C00||Gillespie, Gary N||Remote||175||All seats released for enrollment|
|CSE 12||Basic Data Struct & OO Design||D00||Miranda, Greg||Remote||150||All seats released for enrollment|
|CSE 15L||Software Tools&Techniques Lab||A00||Gillespie, Gary N||Remote||300||All seats released for enrollment|
|CSE 15L||Software Tools&Techniques Lab||B00||Ochoa, Ben||Remote||150||All seats released for enrollment|
|CSE 15L||Software Tools&Techniques Lab||C00||Ochoa, Ben||Remote||150||All seats released for enrollment|
|CSE 20||Discrete Mathematics||A00||Jones, Miles||Remote||300||All seats released for enrollment|
|CSE 21||Math/Algorithm&Systems Analys||A00||Kahng, Andrew Byun||Remote||150||All seats released for enrollment|
|CSE 21||Math/Algorithm&Systems Analys||B00||Jones, Miles||Remote||200||All seats released for enrollment|
|CSE 30||Computer Organiz&Systms Progrm||A00||Chin, Bryan||Remote||220||All seats released for enrollment|
|CSE 30||Computer Organiz&Systms Progrm||B00||Chin, Bryan||Remote||220||All seats released for enrollment|
|CSE 87||Freshman Seminar||B00||Moshiri, Alexander Niema||Remote||20||All seats released for enrollment|
|CSE 87||Freshman Seminar||C00||Howden, William E.||Remote||20||All seats released for enrollment|
|CSE 95||Tutor Apprentice||A00||Minnes Kemp, Mor Mia||Remote||N/A||Reserved for 1st time CSE Tutors.
If you have any questions, contact:
|CSE 100||Advanced Data Structures||A00||Moshiri, Alexander Niema||Remote||475||All seats released for enrollment|
|CSE 101||Design & Analysis of Algorithm||A00||Dasgupta, Sanjoy||Remote||150||All seats released for enrollment|
|CSE 101||Design & Analysis of Algorithm||B00||Impagliazzo, Russell||Remote||150||All seats released for enrollment|
|CSE 101||Design & Analysis of Algorithm||C00||Impagliazzo, Russell||Remote||150||All seats released for enrollment|
|CSE 105||Theory of Computation||A00||STAFF||Remote||180||All seats released for enrollment|
|CSE 105||Theory of Computation||B00||STAFF||Remote||180||All seats released for enrollment|
|CSE 107*||Intro to Modern Cryptography||A00||Micciancio, Daniele||Remote||100||All seats released for enrollment|
|CSE 110*||Software Engineering||A00||Powell, Thomas Allan||Remote||300||All seats released for enrollment|
|CSE 120*||Princ/Computer Operating Systm||A00||Zhou, Yuan-Yuan||Remote||200||All seats released for enrollment|
|CSE 123*||Computer Networks||A00||Shalev, Aaron D||Remote||150||All seats released for enrollment|
|CSE 125||Software Sys Design & Implement||A00||Voelker, Geoffrey M.||Remote||30||
The form CSE 125 Spring 2021 Application is no longer accepting responses.
Approved applicants were notified on 3/3/2021
|CSE 127*||Intro to Computer Security||A00||Savage, Stefan||Remote||180||All seats released for enrollment|
|CSE 130*||Programming Lang:Princpl&Paradigm||A00||Polikarpova, Nadezhda||Remote||180||All seats released for enrollment|
|CSE 131*||Compiler Construction||A00||Jhala, Ranjit||In-Person||49||All seats released for enrollment|
|CSE 132B*||Database System Applications||A00||Deutsch, Alin Bernard||Remote||70||All seats released for enrollment|
|CSE 132C||Database System Implementation||A00||Kumar, Arun Kumar||Remote||70||All seats released for enrollment|
|CSE 135*||Online Database Analytics Appl||A00||Powell, Thomas Allan||Remote||150||All seats released for enrollment|
|CSE 140*||Component&Desgn Tech/Digtl Sys||A00||Cheng, Chung Kuan||Remote||300||All seats released for enrollment|
|CSE 140L*||Digital Systems Laboratory||A00||Eldon, John||Remote||150||All seats released for enrollment|
|CSE 140L*||Digital Systems Laboratory||B00||Eldon, John||Remote||150||All seats released for enrollment|
|CSE 142*||Comp Arch Software Perspective||A00||Porter, Leonard Emerson||Remote||150||All seats released for enrollment|
|CSE 142*||Comp Arch Software Perspective||B00||Porter, Leonard Emerson||Remote||150||All seats released for enrollment|
|CSE 142L*||Software Proj Comp Arch||A00||Swanson, Steven James||Remote||150||All seats released for enrollment|
|CSE 142L*||Software Proj Comp Arch||B00||Swanson, Steven James||Remote||150||All seats released for enrollment|
|CSE 143||Microelectronic System Design||A00||Gupta, Rajesh K.||Remote||48||All seats released for enrollment|
|CSE 145||Embedded System Design Project||A00||Kastner, Ryan Charles||Remote||29||
1st round of course clearances sent out on 2/23
|CSE 148*||Adv Processor Arch Design Proj||A00||Tullsen, Dean Michael||Remote||40||All seats released for enrollment|
|CSE 151A*||Intro to Machine Learning||A00||Shang, Jingbo||Remote||180||All seats released for enrollment|
|CSE 151B*||Deep Learning||A00||Yu, Rose||Remote||189||All seats released for enrollment|
|CSE 168*||Computer Graphics II: Rendering||A00||Ramamoorthi, Ravi||Remote||75||All seats released for enrollment|
|CSE 175||Entrepreneurship for Engineers||A00||Kumar, Rakesh||Remote||54||
The form Enrollment Pre-screening: CSE175 SP-21 "Entrepreneurship for Engineers" with Dr. Rakesh Kumar is no longer accepting responses.
|CSE 175||Entrepreneurship for Engineers||B00||Kumar, Rakesh||In-person*||12||
The form Enrollment Pre-screening: CSE175 SP-21 "Entrepreneurship for Engineers" with Dr. Rakesh Kumar is no longer accepting responses.
|CSE 182*||Biological Databases||A00||Bafna, Vineet||Remote||40||All seats released for enrollment|
|CSE 185*||Advanced Bioinformatics Lab||A00||Gymrek, Melissa Ann||Remote||100||All seats released for enrollment|
|CSE 190||Topics/Computer Sci & Engineer||A00||Porter, George M||Remote||40||
See CSE 190 webpage
|CSE 190||Topics/Computer Sci & Engineer||B00||Schulze, Jurgen P.||Remote||48|
|CSE 190||Topics/Computer Sci & Engineer||C00||Alvarado, Christine
|CSE 190||Topics/Computer Sci & Engineer||D00||Bandeira, Nuno Filipe Cabrita||Remote*||48|
|CSE 190||Topics/Computer Sci & Engineer||E00||Weibel, Nadir||Remote||25|
|CSE 190||Topics/Computer Sci & Engineer||F00||Vaccaro, Kristen||Remote||48|
|CSE 191||Semnr/Computer Sci & Engineer||A00||Shang, Jingbo||Remote||75||See CSE 191 webpage|
|Race, Gender, and Computing||A00||Alvarado, Christine
The students who were officially enrolled in SP21 CSE 190 C00 will have until March 22nd to complete their enrollment in SP21 CSE 194. After that, any available seats will be released for waitlisted to enroll as space permits (in waitlist order).
|CSE 197||Field Study/Computer Sci&Engin||A00||Minnes Kemp, Mor Mia||Remote||N/A||See CSE Internship Companion Courses webpage|