The DEI Committee is thrilled to invite you to participate in our first video contest!
Share a story about a day in your life and help build community, inclusiveness and engagement by bringing your world into ours - be it dealing with COVID and social distancing, protests next door, virtual teaching or learning, family time with pets, or whatever it is that illuminates an aspect of your life.
These stories will be published on this website at the conclusion of the contest.
We are welcoming submissions from all CSE faculty, students, and staff in the following categories:
- Documentary / Interview (Individual and Team)
- Performance Art (Individual and Team):
- Musical, dance, theater, culinary, visual arts, stand-up comedy, etc.
- Group Skit (Team only)
- For past CSE skits please see: http://www.sysnet.ucsd.edu/~voelker/holiday/ *These are mostly comedy skits, but comedy is not required for this contest.
Award amounts for winners, runners-up and honorable mention for all award divisions will be: $150, $100, $50 per student, respectively. Students may win multiple awards.
Awards for each category will include (but are not limited to):
- Most viewed
- Most liked
- Most inclusive message
- Most exotic location
- Best filmography
- Best soundtrack
- Best cameo (i.e. family member, friend, stranger)
- Best appearance by an animal or family pet
- Most humorous
- Best special effects
In order to make this contest accessible to those who may not wish to submit a video, we will also be awarding viewing prizes in the following amounts: $150, $100, $50. The viewing prizes will be awarded based on the greatest number of questions about all submitted videos answered correctly. This will be similar to a scavenger hunt through all of the submitted videos with a question taken from each video.
- Each submission video should be a maximum of 3 minutes long.
- Each team should have a maximum of 4 people.
- Individual students may submit a maximum of 1 video per category.
- Teams may submit a maximum of 1 video per category
Submission deadline is July 31st, 2020
- Create a YouTube account linked to your UCSD email address
- Upload your video and set video viewing permissions to "Unlisted"
- Disable comments on your youtube video
- Notify the DEI Committee of your submission by filling out this form: https://forms.gle/JufmnESaPzSxM7xC6
Video Editing Applications:
Here are some suggestions for those looking to edit their videos before submitting (though this is not required). This is by no means a comprehensive list, simply some recommendations for easily accessible, free video editing software. If you do choose to edit your video, feel free to use whatever program you would like.
Videos will be made available for viewing after the submission deadline on July 31st, 2020.
"CSE Oscars" Award Ceremony
Following submission deadline, the DEI Committee will review the videos. In mid/late-August, we will hold a "CSE Oscars" ceremony via Zoom. This ceremony will feature short clips from the award nominees, and we will reveal the winners of all of the awards. In order to receive an award, the submitting individuals / teams must attend the ceremony.
Please let us know if there are any questions! You can reach out to email@example.com.
Looking forward to hearing your wonderful stories and sharing with all of you a glimpse into the diverse lives of our community!
– DEI Committee