Concurrent Enrollment for CSE Courses
Concurrent Enrollment through UC San Diego Extension provides the opportunity for those who are not registered UC San Diego students to enroll in CSE courses. You must register with UC San Diego Extension to participate in Concurrent Enrollment.
Policies for Winter Quarter 2018
Follow the procedures for Winter Quarter 2018. Failing to do so will jeopardize a Concurrent Enrollment Student’s opportunity to take CSE Courses at UC San Diego. Read the procedures carefully!
Concurrent Enrollment is not guaranteed. Concurrent Enrollment Students are allowed to add CSE Courses after all registered UC San Diego students have been accommodated. Although we do our best to accommodate Concurrent Enrollment Students, CSE Courses are in high demand. It is possible a that Concurrent Enrollment Student will be unable to enroll in any CSE Courses.
Concurrent Enrollment approvals are contingent upon class attendance. Concurrent Enrollment Students will not be approved to enroll in CSE Courses they are not attending.
Concurrent Enrollment approvals will be based on: space availability, wait list order (e.g., when students turned in the Concurrent Enrollment Add Form), and a review of Concurrent Enrollment Student requests, in order to try to place each student into at least one course.
A maximum of 4 courses per Concurrent Enrollment Student will be approved. If students are offered a spot in a fifth class, they will have to drop one of the other courses they were approved to add. However, due to high demand for CSE Courses, students should not expect to be offered more than 1-2 course approvals.
No Concurrent Enrollments are approved for CSE Courses after Friday, January 19. ***Some lower division CSE Courses close earlier*** Please see the CSE Winter 2018 Course Updates for the latest status. Be sure to also review UC San Diego Extension's policies and procedures. If there are later deadlines on that site, the CSE deadlines apply.
How to Add CSE Courses through Concurrent Enrollment
1. Register with UC San Diego Extension
2. Use the following resources to identify CSE Courses you wish to take:
- CSE Undergraduate Course Descriptions - View content, expectations, and prerequisites for CSE courses.
- Schedule of Classes - View time/day/location/instructor details for available course sections.
- Winter 2018 Course Updates - View updates to CSE courses, e.g. cancelled sections, time changes
3. Fill-out our Concurrent Enrollment Student Information form, (link coming soon).
4. Beginning Tuesday, January 9th, 2018, attend the courses you wish to enroll in.
5. Fill out UC San Diego Extension Add Forms completely for the courses you wish to enroll in.
6. After the first class, discuss your readiness for the course with the instructor. If the instructor feels you have the prerequisite knowledge to be successful in the course, ask the instructor to sign the Concurrent Enrollment Add Form.
7. Between January 9th - 12th, turn in Concurrent Enrollment Add Forms for CSE Courses into CSE Student Affairs (EBU 3B, 1200)
8. Starting Friday, January 12th, through Friday, January 19th: CSE Student Affairs will review UC San Diego student enrollments. If seats are available in CSE Courses, Concurrent Enrollment Students will be approved to enroll. Notifications of enrollment approval will be sent via email.
9. Within 48 hours of receiving enrollment approval notification, Concurrent students come to CSE Student Affairs (EBU 3B, 1200) to pick up their stamped enrollment form.
10. Students turn in the stamped Concurrent Enrollment Add Form to UC San Diego Extension to officially enroll in the course.
Frequently Asked Questions
If you still have questions...
Questions about UC San Diego Extension and University and Professional Studies (UPS) policies should be directed to those offices.
Questions about Computer Science and Engineering Department policies should be directed here, (link coming soon).